". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Still Applicable After All These Years

Almost three years ago my daughter drew a picture. It was reflective of some things going on in our family's life at the time, and my husband and I also thought it was just a very cool drawing, so we encouraged her to set up a Cafepress store with it. Today I was very glad to find her store still active because a few days ago one of the mugs slipped out of my hand and broke while I was washing dishes. A replacement is now on the way!

To Caitlin: I know that as an artist you have moved beyond this drawing. I know that as creative people we sometimes look back on our past work with mixed feelings, especially as we mature and grow and our craft improves. But your father and I will always treasure this creation of yours. Thank you for letting us hold on to it, even as you have perhaps moved beyond it. In holding on to it, we are holding on a tiny bit to the 16-year-old girl who drew it. Plus, it is just as useful now as it was back then. ;-)



The world may never know. 

No comments: