". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Lately

The season may not yet have changed on the calendar, but around here it certainly feels like it! We have spent the last week switching out of spring and into summer--and vacation!--mode.

We had our first social gathering last weekend. Having people over was a great motivator for getting the patio looking nice. I also put in a lot of time on the dining room, even down to unpacking the china.


There is still so much to do to make this house feel like a home. I have put hardly anything on the walls. (The piece pictured above carries great sentimental meaning so was one of the first things to go up.) To be honest, I am not sure how far we will get with decorating this house. It is a rental and is also a little smaller than what we hope to buy in the not too distant future. There are boxes (so many boxes) in the garage that will probably stay there, unopened, until they have a more permanent home.

We are loving our new church, more every day, and Oklahoma as well. The pace is relaxed, the people lovely, and the weather so far exquisite. I feel as though, for the first time in quite a long time, I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure finally having everyone together in one place is a huge part of that. I am trying not to think about how much that is going to change in about ten weeks.

Speaking of which, Caitlin's college plans are falling into place. She got her desired dorm assignment and has connected online with her suite mates. We go to orientation in two weeks! Two weeks after that we have a home school graduation! And about a week after that is our mother-daughter trip to New York City!

Phillip is doing much professional traveling this summer, but before he gets really busy we are sneaking off to Wichita in a few weeks to see our favorite concert artist, James Taylor. I've lost track of how many JT concerts we've gone to over the years. I would guess around ten.

Evan is having summer school. (The Philipp Nicolai Lutheran Academy never closes; it just adjusts itself, year round, to the needs of its students and teachers.) In a few weeks he will be attending Lutheran summer camp for the first time. Five nights away from home will be quite a test for the highly sensitive one. But he has come so far this year, and he will be bunking with friends. He has wanted to go to camp ever since he read about the Berenstain Bears doing it.

Trevor is working on his list of potential graduate schools. He is entering his senior year this fall and will enjoy a slightly lighter schedule as reward for the progress he has already made toward his degree. This summer he is doing some organ playing at church, substituting for his dad when he goes out of town.

My mom is doing well.

I have put out feelers for piano students, but have not had any takers. I would like to sign up a few students, as much to provide Evan some piano buddies as to make a few dollars. The next step will be to try to connect with the home school community, something I have not yet done.

It is time for me to get off the computer and go for a walk in this beautiful Oklahoma morning!

1 comment:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I feel as though, for the first time in quite a long time, I'm not holding my breath.

I know exactly what you mean. For the first 9 years of our marriage, we lived in rented apartments. I knew none of the places we lived were going to be permanent, and I struggled with even liking some of the places we lived -- I knew we'd be moving again, and so I didn't want to get attached to places and people, only to leave them behind.

But three years ago, my husband transferred to his current job. It's a perfect fit for him, and even if he gets promoted away from it, or decides to try something else within the government, we shouldn't have to move unless we want to, and so... I've stopped holding my breath. I'm putting down roots; I'm making actual friends; we bought a house. For right now, my brother and his family even live close to us! And I can breathe.

Okay, time for me to stop reading your blog for a while and go do some laundry :-)