". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Wise Words

For many years now we have subscribed to World magazine. It is a news magazine in the tradition of Time or Newsweek but with a Biblical, Christian world view. One of the best things about World is the writer Andree Seu. Her column is the first thing I read whenever a new issue of World arrives. She writes not about politics or current events but about the day-to-day struggles and joys of life under the cross, and she does so  from the perspective of someone who sounds a lot like me: a mom, an English teacher, a wife, and a redeemed sinner. She came later in life to the vocation of published writer, making me think there might still be hope for me!

A few days ago my husband brought home an old issue of World, dated Nov. 19, 2005, that he came across while cleaning out his office. I can see why we saved it. Seu's column in this issue was called "Andree's Aphorisms" and consisted of a catalogue of short observations taken, I assume, from her other writings. Or perhaps they were just things she had often thought or said and only compiled for this column.  Whatever the case, her observations are pure gold, so I thought I would share a few of them here.

People laugh at your unwholesome talk at the moment but think less of you afterwards.

A lot of what I thought was my personality was just sin.

I started out wanting to be my children's savior, and ended up pleading for forgiveness.

Your friend's casual joke about her husband is a deep well. Probe and you will find pain.

Whole lifetimes are wasted worrying about the opinions of people who aren't even on the right wavelength.

Better to let your child make an imperfect bed than to have a perfect bed that you make yourself.

An inferiority complex is a desire to be better than other people.

The more you see how wretched and needy you are, the less the question "How much should I pray?" is an issue for serious debate.

The best teaching moments are never at convenient times.

Sit on a sensitive letter for three days before sending it.

When I have no intention of obeying a Bible command, I say it's not meant to be taken literally.

My kids have a foggy recollection of things I tried to teach them, and total recall of my phone conversations they overheard from the next room.

Tell your child what delights you about him. He doesn't know unless you tell him.

Now and then skip the dishes and run out to the park. In 20 years your kid will remember the park and you will not remember the dishes.

Praising and thanking God all day long are the only cure I've found for depression.

Drop the dust rag and look at your child when he's telling you a story.

And, my favorite, :

While inside an idolatry you love your idolatry. When you are set free you see what bondage it was.

Seu's World columns can be read here and her World magazine blog is found here.

No comments: