". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Real Men

Today at church a friend presented me with a bright pink gift bag. She explained that the bag contained a high school graduation gift for my son and then smiled and with a twinkle in her eye said, "Tell him I'm sorry for the pink. It was the only bag I could find." Of course I told her not to worry about it.

After lunch I gave the bag to my son and passed along my friend's words, to which my husband responded, "Trevor is man enough to handle pink." Suddenly, Evan, my 7-year-old, popped up and, brandishing the pink ice pop that he was eating, said, "I'm man enough to handle pink, too!" We all got a chuckle out of that but the even bigger chuckle came when, without missing a beat, Evan turned to my husband and in all seriousness asked, "Dad, are you man enough to handle pink?"

LOL!

(And for the record, the answer is yes. My husband loves his pink ties.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the 80s I wore a lot of gray/silver shirts with pink ties to church. It even showed through my confirmation robe. :)

Cheryl said...

Dan, after this little episode my daughter told us that according to what she has read pink used to be associated with boys and blue with girls and that somewhere along the way it changed. Will have to go look that up.

Cheryl said...

Here are a few links I found on the question:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7817496.stm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2831/was-pink-originally-the-color-for-boys-and-blue-for-girls