". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Fourth of July Prayer

Tonight at church my husband and I played an organ/piano arrangement of the Navy hymn, "Eternal Father, Strong to Save." Here is that recording with the words of the hymn. We are all in peril on the vast sea of life, but God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is strong to save and will never leave nor forsake us. A blessed Fourth of July to you and yours.

Eternal Father, Strong to Save from Cheryl on Vimeo.

Hymn by William Whiting, Tune by John Dykes

Recorded at the Evening Service, Bethany Lutheran Church, July 2, 2011

Cheryl Magness, piano

Phillip Magness, organ

Arr. by David Schwoebel

1 comment:

Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake said...

Another thing I love about this hymn is all the special verses that have been written to commemorate adventurers of various sorts. My very favorite:

Creator, Father, who dost show
Thy splendor in the ice and snow,
Bless those who toil in summer light
And through the cold Antarctic night,
As they thy frozen wonders learn;
Bless those who wait for their return.
-- L.E. Vogel, 1965