". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Did He or Didn't He? - Words, Continued

President Obama used an "f" word at the White House Correspondents' Dinner Saturday night. It is not clear which "f" word he used. But it matters little to me, because what is clear is that the President's utterance was an attempt to allude humorously to the Vice-President's recent four letter "f" word gaffe.

Does anyone else find it inappropriate for a sitting President to be making light of obscene language? Is it not one of the President's duties to comport himself as a gentleman, not only for the sake of upholding the dignity of his office but also for the sake of modeling desirable behavior for the country's youth?

Wasn't there a time that it was considered scandalous for a President to use foul language, even when it was never intended to be heard in a public forum?

How times have changed.

No comments: