". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, February 27, 2009

Goodbye, Dad

My father-in-law died suddenly Tuesday night. He had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma only days before. Twelve hours before his father died, my husband talked to his father's doctor and was told his father's life expectancy was in the category of weeks or months. My husband had visited his father the previous week and plans were underway for him to go back in several days.

Within six hours after receiving the news, we were on the road from Chicago to Houston, where my husband's family lives. We drove nonstop and made it in about 21 hours.

Today my mother-in-law will undergo emergency heart surgery. Her heart is currently functioning at minimal capacity. She has multiple other health issues, increasing the risk of surgery.

Our hearts are heavy with all that has happened. My husband and his sister have much to do and figure out in the days to come. Right now we are not sure how long we will be in Houston.

My father-in-law was a retired naval officer who served in Defense Intelligence. He received the National Defense Service Medal and the Joint Service Commendation Medal. He had one son, one daughter, two stepdaughters, and nine grandchildren. Up until a month before his death he was continuing to run his own house and care for his bedridden wife. We suspect that he was in pain for much longer and knew that something was wrong but kept running the race until he could finally run no more.

He will be greatly missed.

5 comments:

Dakotapam said...

I am saddened to hear this news for your family, my prayers are with your family.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Condolences. Prayers for you and your husband to face all this.

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry for your loss.

You and your husband are in my prayers.

Karen said...

Cheryl, I'm sorry for the pain and grief that your family is undergoing. May God comfort you all and provide you the strength you need.

Unknown said...

Condolences and God's blessings to you from both my wife and me at this terrible time of loss