". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, February 21, 2014

One week ago today . . .

. . . Caitlin and I were sitting in a ballroom at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, listening to presentations on financial aid, study abroad, and the honors program. Midway through the morning, Caitlin had her interview for the Meridian Scholarship. She wrote about the whole experience on her blog if you want to read a little more. I don't have much to add, except for this:

When we first arrived we were given name tags and a table assignment. When we went to our table, however, it was already full. We went back to registration to ask for instructions and were told that the table assignments didn't matter and that we should sit in any available seats. So we found a table with some room. Later that day, after all the students had left and it was just parents remaining, the parents took a little time getting to know each other. It turned out that all four of us at that table were there because our assigned tables had been full. As we conversed a little more, it also turned out that we were all homeschoolers! But wait, it gets better. The gentleman to the right of me was the son of an LCMS pastor. The young woman to my left, not a parent but a current Meridian Scholar who had been sent to hostess our table, was also Lutheran (ELCA), with a sister engaged to be married to a young man entering the St. Louis Seminary (LCMS) this fall.

We had such a wonderful lunch together. When we said goodbye I wanted to ask for everyone's contact info, but I didn't. I hope that if all our kids end up at SIUE we will meet again.

Go ahead and try to tell me this was a chance encounter. I dare you.

No comments: