". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

He's Twenty

Twenty years ago today I was experiencing some discomfort but didn't know if it was time to go to the hospital yet. You see, I had never had a baby before and I didn't want to be one of those pregnant ladies who goes to the hospital only to be sent back home. Was this labor? I wasn't sure. So I waited until finally my husband would let me wait no more. We headed to St. John's in Nassau Bay, Texas, but on the way we stopped for frozen yogurt at TCBY. Isn't that what everyone does on the way to have a baby? Whatever. By the time we arrived I was dilated to 5 cm. Trevor was born at 10:43 p.m. and weighed in at 9 pounds, 7 ounces (must have been all that brain matter). We celebrated by ordering pizza.

This is the second year in a row we won't be able to be with Trevor on his birthday. Thank God for Skype. Tonight after he gets back to his dorm room following piano lit class he will video call us and open the package that (I hope) will arrive in his mailbox today.

Where have the years gone?







3 comments:

Melody said...

I hear ya. My oldest will be 30 at his next birthday. 30. How can that be, when I'm only 40?

Glenda said...

I love the "then" and "now" pictures.

Happy Birthday to Trevor!

Leah said...

Why is it that I so love a picture of a mother and her new baby (wrapped in that striped hospital blanket) in the hospital bed? EVERY TIME!
Must be that I know that miraculous feeling the parents are experiencing in those first precious moments and hours, staring in awe at this new little person created and given by God to their family as a gift.
Happy birthday Trevor. Twenty! Wow, that will be my son in five years, oh dear! :D