". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"Never Gonna Stop Till Everybody's Groovin'"

One of the things I want to do with Evan in our home school this year is to help him learn and appreciate the documents, symbols, and songs that are an important part of being an American citizen. Today before devotion we spent some time discussing the Pledge of Allegiance, going through it line by line and analyzing the meaning. When we got to the last line, "With liberty and justice for all," I asked Evan what "liberty" is. He wasn't sure but wanted to try to come up with the answer, so Caitlin and I offered some clues. I told him that there is a synonym for liberty that starts with the letter "f." Then Caitlin said that it is the state of being able to do what you want to do without having limitations put on you (I am paraphrasing--she said it in slightly different words). Evan immediately lit up with what he thought had to be the right answer: "FUN!"

You have to admit, he does have a point. :-)

No comments: