". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pure Michigan!

Last week I visited "The UP" (Michigan Upper Peninsula) for the first time. Some friends of ours have a summer home in Manistique, and they invited us to join them for a few days. There was no arm-twisting required to get us to leave the Oven Formerly Known as Chicago for a short getaway.

This is our friends' house. They have worked all last summer and this summer updating it. Isn't it lovely? It is only a few blocks from Lake Michigan. When we arrived the first evening quite late, we could see the stars and hear the waves. The house has no air conditioning but the moderate UP climate, open windows, and fans in almost every room kept things comfortably cool. I almost felt like I was in Grenada again.


We enjoyed several activities during our stay. One day we went to see Kitch-iti-kipi. I'll let you click on the link to find out more, but here are a few pics from our visit.



A boat with a clear glass floor allows riders to look down and see the spring.



Evan and Caitlin waving from the boat dock.

Pretty girl.




Looking down through the viewing glass on the floor of the boat. The lighter colored area is due to the bubbling of the spring.


Trees reflected in the water.




Our hostess powering the boat.


Two peas in a pod.


Playground in the park at Kitch-iti-kipi. We did some swinging! Yes, that's me with the crazy hair.


And there's that pretty one again.


My own little--um, make that big--Dora the Explorer.

Later this same day we went to the boardwalk in Manistique and visited a nearby lighthouse.







Trevor is not pictured because he stayed behind to manage the homefront for us. Thanks, Trevor!


Look!


Our final outing was--of course!--a trip to the beach.





Back at the house and a little sunburned. It's hard to cover every spot with sunscreen!


What better way to wrap up a beach day than with some s'mores? Is that redundant?




As we sat, the bats came out and flew around our heads. You think I'm kidding.

Thank you, Paul, Elise and Evelyn, for your friendship and hospitality. You all rock. We'll be in touch about our return trip. :-)

3 comments:

Leah said...

Now you're making me want to get my camping post up that I've been procrastinating on doing...

I mean who doesn't like to look at vacation pics? Glad you had a good time. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like my kind of trip...wished I could have been there with everyone...DJ

Cheryl said...

Leah, I'll be watching for that post!

DJ, it was absolutely your kind of trip. We thought of you often while we were there. And we think you have a lot in common with our friend Elise. You both work hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful time.