". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ring Tales

No, this is not a post about The Hobbit.

I recently read this blog post by a friend whose ring fell down her drain and was damaged in the disposal. I feel so terrible for her!

It reminded me of a story with a happier ending, although the happy ending was long in coming. Here's a news item about a Swedish woman who lost her wedding ring 16 years ago but recently found the ring encircling a carrot that she picked from her garden!

Here's my ring story. About five years ago I quit wearing my wedding set because I was told the prongs were so worn that I was in danger of losing a diamond. My set has seven diamonds totaling half a carat. The estimate on retipping all those diamonds was frightening--to do so would have cost way more than my husband originally paid for the ring. So I retired my wedding set and started wearing a plain gold band that my mother-in-law had given me. My husband and I decided that some day we would get a new setting for my wedding ring but that it would have to wait a while.

This past fall while raking and bagging leaves I suddenly realized that the gold band I had been wearing on my ring finger was no longer on my finger. Cold weather = skinnier fingers = slippery rings. I assume the band fell off my finger into a pile or bag of leaves. There was no finding it.

My husband and I had already been talking about an anniversary ring--we celebrate 25 years in March! So guess what that dear man did? In December he took me shopping for an early anniversary gift. It is similar to my wedding ring but a little bigger (1 carat instead of 1/2 carat). It is a traditional 3-stone ring with one central diamond, two slightly smaller ones on each side, and eight diamond chips set into the band, four on each side.


Yes, I'm a happy girl! I still have my original wedding set, and I hope some day one or more of the diamonds will find another home--maybe in a new setting for my daughter or a future daughter-in-law. For now it is safe in my jewelry box and the ring above is on my finger! I have decided, after reading my friend Glenda's post, that I may need to have it sized down because it's a little loose (but I am waiting to see how it fits in the summer). I have also developed the habit of taking it off at night (8 hours per night of rubbing on the sheets is VERY hard on the prongs and causes them to wear much more quickly than they otherwise would) and of not wearing it when I am going to do manual labor (although I do wash dishes with it on). The trick is putting it in a safe place when taking it off. The kitchen counter does not qualify as safe! My safe spot is in or on top of my jewelry box.

I am enjoying my beautiful new ring and unlike Bilbo Baggins am very glad it doesn't make me invisible, since I love looking at it on my hand!



4 comments:

Glenda said...

Oh what a lovely thing for him to do! It is a beautiful ring.

I picked up my resized wedding ring last night, so it shouldn't fall off now. And I, too, take mine off at night and leave it on the jewelry box. Although I still wash the dishes with it on.

We're going to take the damaged anniversary band in to see what it will cost to have it fixed. The other night I dreamed that the $ figure was 12,000. Apparently I'm a little afraid of it costing too much. lol

btw, the word verification is: "pring." :-)

Kristi said...

Have to share my ring story. When I was 4 years old (still the only child), I went with my mom to the pasture where she was cutting thistles. I played nearby in a sandy area where the three pastures came together, that washed regularly when it rained. While playing in the sand, I found a ring.

It was a gold wedding band. It belonged to the lady whom my folks bought the farm from back in 1964. This would have been in 1971. We took the ring to she and her husband. They were overjoyed. She had lost it during their first year of marriage when she had went to get the milk cows in to milk them. They had just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

I was so happy for them. How cool is that? The story made it into the Yankton paper and they gave my folks the patent that was granted by the President when the land was sold. I don't remember all the details of that, but need to get that story straight from my folks.

That's my ring story.

Cheryl said...

Kristi, that is an AMAZING story! Wow! And to think you were a part of it!

Glenda, LOL on the word verification. And I don't think your repair will cost quite that much ;-) but yeah, one reason we decided to go with a brand new ring was that it was less costly than repairing my old one (even with the heavier weight of the new ring).

Myrtle said...

My ring story is one of my biggest regrets. I found my grandmother's high school graduation ring tucked away in the back of the drawer of her dresser that I got after she died. I wore it all the time. However, wearing it all the time was not the brightest of ideas, for I lost it in my house one day. How one can lose a ring in a small house is beyond me. I looked for the ring for years and years and then again when I was packing up to move. I never found it.

I do rather love Kristi's ring story!