". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Barter"

A few years ago I wrote a blog post in which I referred to a poem entitled "Barter." The poem was written by Sara Teasdale. I mentioned how much I liked the poem but added that I think the reason I like it so much is because of the way I came to know it. It has been set to music a number of times but my favorite version is one composed by Frank K. DeWald in 2001. Below is a video of the junior high high chorus at our Lutheran day school singing this song at a choir festival yesterday. They got a first division, and you will see why! There are only 23 students in this group but they love to sing. The robust sound you hear coming from the baritone section is created by just three singers.

I hope you have time to listen to the whole song. But if not, fast forward to the last stanza. This is a young group (6th, 7th, and 8th grade), but they obviously know what they're singing about.

Here's the text:

Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up
Holding wonder like a cup.

Life has loveliness to sell,
Music like a curve of gold,
Scent of pine trees in the rain,
Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
And for your spirit's still delight,
Holy thoughts that star the night.

Spend all you have for loveliness,
Buy it and never count the cost;
For one white singing hour of peace
Count many a year of strife well lost,
And for a breath of ecstasy
Give all you have been, or could be.

Barter from Cheryl on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Enjoyed every minute.
Suzanne L, Looper

Cheryl said...

Hi Suzanne! Thanks for the comment!