". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Prepare the Royal Highway

One of my favorite Advent hymns is "Prepare the Royal Highway" (Lutheran Service Book 343). We sing it a little differently at my church, courtesy of my husband the Cantor. I love how he plays it, capturing in music the anticipation of the people of God as their King approaches: "Hosanna to the Lord, for He fulfills God's Word." The people of our congregation love it: just listen to the singing! And the children love it: it is one of the hymns they most often request. Enjoy! And be joyful! The King is coming soon!

(P.S. You can see my two younger men in the front row of the congregation, a tall one in a green shirt helping a short one in a red shirt to follow the hymn in the hymnal. Oh, and that very pretty acolyte--the one closest to the camera--is my daughter.)

Prepare the Royal Highway - Lutheran Service Book 343 from Cheryl on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Keith said...

One of my favorite hymns, period, especially in anticipation of the King! Saw you with the camera while we were singing so I came to your site to see if you had the video posted and sure enough, here it is. The arrangement that Phillip plays is inspiring and fills the sanctuary with song. It's jazzy and it rocks; Mike V. and I were swaying with the words. Get goosebumps everytime your husband plays this and we sing it.

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! I love that hymn, but I've never heard it quite like that. As soon as I played the video, my 10 month old started dancing and crawled over to see what was going on! :-) Hosanna to the Lord!

Leah said...

Very joyful indeed!
Your husband definitely plays "with authority". I always enjoy when a man plays like that. (That's partly why I've always loved Keith Green's music - strong, powerful, joyful, bright, and very passionate.)