". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Deja Vu

My oldest son, a 17-year-old nationally ranked high school chess player, has been giving weekly chess lessons to his little brother (now 5, going on 6 years old). It's a great situation all the way around, enriching little brother's homeschool "curriculum" (I put the word in quotation marks because I don't think kindergarteners need much in the way of a formal curriculum) and providing valuable teaching experience for his big brother. When we first tried chess instruction for Evan he didn't take to it, so we dropped it. But lately he has really been enjoying and looking forward to his lessons.

Evan had his chess lesson yesterday. This morning when he woke up the first words from his lips were, "Mommy, can I have another chess lesson today? I want to see what the next rule is." He then started rattling off some of his recently learned chess facts, i.e., "You can only castle one time. JUST ONE TIME."

Hmmm. Only time will tell, but I can't wondering if we may be in for another wild and woolly ride on the Scholastic Chess Train.

No comments: