". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What is Going on Up North?

It seems every time I turn around there's a new headline highlighting the erosion of Canadian individual rights and the expansion of the nanny state. In just the past couple of weeks I have read about a Canadian judge overturning a father's grounding of his 12-year-old daughter and the Canadian government's move to require prescriptions for vitamins. Meanwhile, the Canadian Human Rights Commission has been attacking free speech with a vengeance, as evidenced by the bringing of charges against author Mark Steyn and publisher Ezra Levant.

Americans should pay attention. There are many in our own country (and I think the Democratic presidential nominee is one) who share the philosophy that the government knows what is best for us and should therefore be allowed to continue its creeping intrusion into all aspects of our lives. If we aren't careful the day may come that the image of America Alone will be a mere memory as America becomes indistinguishable from the European community.

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

I'm going to go hug my constitution now. Whatever is coming if Obama gets elected will have to be rationalized through the lens of the Constitution.

Yeah, I know. Some will tramp and stop all over it, but the fact remains they've got to get thru and over and around it first, and that will slow down those who would rule by fiat.

It's not perfect protection, our Constitution, but it's something. It's a start.