". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Presidential Candidates and Abortion: A Study in Contrast

This YouTube video juxtaposes the comments of Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain from their respective interviews with Rick Warren on August 16, 2008 (they did not debate each other but sat with him for individual question-and-answer segments, sharing the stage only briefly). Obama's response is first. I couldn't help noticing that he took a lot more time to be far less clear. I did not get to watch the entire program (I hope to in replay), but from what I have so far heard about it from others, what you see here is representative of the interviews overall, reflecting a directness and precision from McCain that suggests he is far more comfortable with his views and his ability to articulate them than is his opponent.

Just listen to the applause of the crowd when he answers the question about when a human being should be afforded the protection of law. This man is ardently pro-life and not afraid to say so.

3 comments:

Susan K said...

I didn't see the whole thing either, but I did read an article on this.

Rick Warren also asked each of them what it means to be a Christian. To quote the article from the Chicago Tribune: "Explaining what it meant to him to be a Christian, the Democratic senator from Illinois talked of 'walking humbly with our God': 'I know that I don't walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what he intends.'"

I say, WHA?

McCain said, "It means I'm saved and forgiven."

That gets my vote.

Michelle said...

I just saw the same video on the Rebellious Pastor's Wife's blog. I also noticed how long it took him to dance around the questions and he never answered either question. McCain answered the question in less than two seconds.

Good thing Obama isn't swimming in the Olympics... time is everything! :)

Jane said...

I really love it that Obama says that question is above his paygrade. What?!

And he's looking for a promotion?