". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, January 7, 2011

I Think I'm Seeing a Connection Here

Recent entries from my 2011 "Forgotten English" calendar, compiled by Jeffrey Kacirk

Thursday, January 6

"married all o'er" - Said of women who after their marriage . . . become . . . miserable-looking. - Georgina Jackson's Shropshire Word-Book, 1879

Friday, January 7

"toozle" - To pull about, especially applied to any rough dalliance with a female. - John Brockett's Glossary of North Country Words, 1825

Please note that I do not personally identify with either of these locutions. My husband is a complete gentleman, and being married to him has only made me better. :-)

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

:D

(PS--you know you're visiting Cheryl's blog when your WV is "gatio" and your brain makes you type "gatto" instead.

Leah said...

Good. Now when my kids are all saying "Mom!" to me at once, I can say, "Alright, everyone quit toozling me now!"

Cheryl said...

Rebekah, our homeschooling style is more "gatto" with every passing day.

Leah, I can tell from your lovely photo that you are not "married all o'er." But it sounds like maybe you are "mommied all o'er"!