". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Good Friday

A sampling of last night's musical selections for those who would like to listen. Thank you to all the musicians who gave of their time and talents in the service of the Word last night. Many were blessed by your efforts.

Psalm 2 led by a specially recruited Good Friday youth choir. The congregation joins in on the refrain and the adult choir assists with the descant. After the organ prelude, this was the first musical selection of the service.

 .
Psalm 2 from Cheryl on Vimeo.


A dramatic and powerful meditation on Jesus' anguish in the Garden of Gethsemane. "“Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42)

 
"Thy Will Be Done" from Cheryl on Vimeo.

The treble choir again, singing the Isaiah text: "Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted." (Isaiah 53:4)


"Surely He Has Borne Our Griefs" from Cheryl on Vimeo.


 A quiet moment in the darkness, shortly before all the lights are extinguished and the strepitus is heard. "Sorrow and love flow mingled down." This is the essence of Good Friday: so awful, and yet so very good.

 
"When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" from Cheryl on Vimeo.

No comments: