". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Life

Not a lot of time to blog right now. It's piano season. On Sunday, the children's choir organization that I accompany for had their year-end concerts. So from about 1:30 to 7:00 I was either sitting at the piano or running around backstage helping with cues, equipment, or crowd control. The venue was North Central College's brand new concert hall in downtown Naperville. I must admit one of the nice things about this job is getting to play pianos like that in places like that.

Yesterday I was in rehearsals all day for several other choirs I accompany, these at a local junior high school. It is a stunningly high level middle school choral program, not at all typical, due in part to the gifted director who just happens to be a member of my church. I have worked with him for the past five years, but at the end of this year he is leaving to build a chorus program at a new high school and I doubt circumstances will allow me to continue playing for him. I will miss working with him. When I first met him I was struck by how much he reminded me of my husband, both in appearance and style. Maybe that's why we have gotten along so well!

Yesterday's rehearsals were in preparation for concerts tonight and tomorrow night--four of them in all, one for each grade level (6, 7, 8) plus one for the Honors groups. The concerts will feature not just vocal choirs but bands and orchestra as well. I am always quite impressed with the level of accomplishment. Maybe it has something also to do with the fact that this junior high feeds into one of the most amazing high school music programs I have ever seen. The opportunities, facilities and equipment available to these students and the superior results rival that of a lot of college music programs in this country. I wonder if these kids realize how fortunate they are?

Today we are having another yard and house work day. This one will not be quite as totalizing as last week's--we can't give the entire day to it--but we still hope to get some big jobs done.

Caitlin is counting down to her stage debut this Friday in Seussical. She has rehearsals every night from 6-9 and performances Friday at 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. On Friday morning I will be helping prepare & serve lunch to the cast. Friday night will be Caitlin's first junior high social gathering--a party for cast and parents at a cast member's house.

The Houston Rockets prevailed in the first round of NBA playoffs! And last night they defeated the Lakers! If you're wondering why this makes an Illinois resident happy, check out my profile. Of course, it also makes several other male people in my house very happy, and that is always a salutary thing.

Speaking of said males, I need to go wake up the older one. Before yard work comes . . . French class. Priorities, you know.

3 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Well, I say that fancy concert hall is incomplete!

I see no mention of an organ!

Caitlin Magness said...

"Friday night will be Caitlin's first junior high social gathering--a party for cast and parents at a cast member's house."

Don't forget our terrific crew and "props mistress!" :)

Cheryl said...

EC, you have a one-track mind (but it's a good track, I must say).

And Caitlin, how could I forget the crew? Thanks for the correction!